Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Red Hibiscus....Need a Shoeshine?

Once while vacationing on Isla Mujeres, an island off the coast of Yucatan, Mexico, I saw a shoeshine boy on the street with a basket of hibiscus flowers plying his trade by polishing people's shoes with the blooms. I tried it and it really works! What a clever and cheap way to make a peso, and considering that the hibiscus flowers last only a day and are so plentiful in the tropics, I think using such a resource as hibiscus flowers to shine shoes makes a lot of sense. I have often been amazed by the incredible beauty amidst dire poverty you sometime see in the tropics.

2 comments:

RUTH said...

How interesting...my Hibiscus has shed it's last bloom for this year I think but I must try it next year. What a wonderful and moving sentence your last one is....:o)

Liquid said...

And, the petals of the Hibiscus is also edible and a wonderfully delicious addition for both color and taste on a summer salad!
But would've never guessed to also capable of adding a little shine to shoes! Great post and...beautiful bloom! :)