Monday, November 24, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving Greetings 2008

Norman Rockwell, the famous American illustrator and painter, created this series of posters below during World War II based on President Franklin D. Roosevelt's "Four Freedoms" speech to Congress in January, 1941. FDR inspired and lifted the spirits of the American people during the Depression and war and quelled their fears, and Rockwell captured the scenes and values of small town America and reminded us of our precious freedoms perfectly. Left click on this picture to see it better. Thanksgiving ... a time of joy... warm thoughts...reflecting on..and counting our many blessings and expressing gratitude for all of them and our American freedoms during these troubling times...and never, ever taking any of them for granted. Remember that "Freedom is NOT FREE" and was bought and paid for by the blood, sweat, tears, and vigilance of every generation of Americans. May all of these gifts and more be yours... Happy Thanksgiving!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

And may you and yours have a wonderful Thanksgiving, too!

Southern Lady said...

Jon, thank you so much for the gracious note you left for me at Southern Lagniappe.

I loved your Thanksgiving post and your tribute to the Delta Queen. I, too, was there to bid a sad farewell and TRIED to take pictures of her, but was disappointed to see she was hidden behind the American Queen.

Your eloquent way with words and professional photographs are an inspiration to all of us, Jon. It's always a pleasure to visit you and I appreciate you taking the time to visit Southern Lagniappe.

Sincerely,

Janie

chuck b. said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Jon. Pecan pie, or pumpkin?

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for stopping by the Back Porch, Jon!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Jon said...

Chuck,
I'm not a pumpkin pie eater. Give me PAH KAHN pie made with bourbon and a double scoop of vanilla ice cream on it and I'm in hog heaven!

Hope y'all have a nice feast in S.F.! (I still have such great memories of the summer of 1965 I spent there in my little apartment on Nob Hill. Those WERE the days when the Flower Children were just beginning to flock there. Ah, such exciting times for a Mississippi country boy!)

Jon on 11-25-08

Unknown said...

Hi Jon,
It is great to see you back online again and posting. I enjoyed your newest posts...just been busy and haven't commented.

I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
Diane

Aiyana said...

Jon, Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours! I appreciate your visits and comments on my blog.
Aiyana

Anonymous said...

I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving. It is good to remember when giving thanks for families and good fortune to remember our freedoms here in America something we often take for granted.

Jan
Always Growing

Philip Bewley said...

Happy Thanksgiving Jon!
I have enjoyed your blog.
PAH KAHN pie made with bourbon and a double scoop of vanilla ice cream on it...Hmm that sound so good!
Thank you for your comment!
:)
Philip

Aiyana said...

Lovely thoughts. Thanks for posting. I remember every one of these posters!
Aiyana

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing with us.. Nice blog..


___________________
Jessica
Get 28 movie channels for 3 months free