Sunday, November 02, 2008

The Holly Days Are Coming Soon My Tree Tells Me

Many years ago I dug this tiny wild native holly tree seedling up from the forest and brought it home to plant. This year it has a nice crop of berries just starting to turn red. Is this a sign of an early and extra cold winter ahead? I hope not as I dislike cold weather. I left my heart in the tropics of Southeast Asia years ago! It always amazes me to think of how our local Choctaw Indians used this tree's leaves and berries to brew a purgative drink to purify their bodies.

2 comments:

Annie in Austin said...

I love my Yaupon holly too, Jon - and wonder why the time of berrying isn't something written down in my journal or on the blog. It doesn't seem too early for holly berries, but if winter turns out to be a long, cold one - I'll start watching the yaupons more closely!

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing with us.. Nice blog..


___________________
Jessica
Get 28 movie channels for 3 months free