Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Names Of Plants...Common and Botanical

Because of several visitors' e-mails about the names of plants on my pictures and the confusion caused by the variance in plant common names in America and elsewhere, I am editing my picture labels when possible to show the Latin botanical names as well. I hope this will help some visitors to this blog. Fine Gardening magazine's web site has a great section on the pronunciation of the Latin names. My old high school Latin days help me a bit, but I often refer to the Fine Gardening guide for both spelling and pronunciation. Check it out by clicking on the link on my right sidebar or at: http://www.taunton.com/finegardening/pages/spg017.asp

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the explanation and for this helpful link. Nice pictures you have posted recently.